5 Jun 2008

Ladybird: Asian Lady Beetle

Am adding two more labels: ladybird and birds.


Asian lady beetle

This one is a photo of the Asian lady beetle (Harmonia axyridis). It was perching happily making rounds from one leaf to another when I saw her. I snapped nearly hundred shots! Got more than 20 good ones and the above shot is my favourite.

The Asian lady beetle is also known as the Multicolored Asian lady beetle or Harlequin lady beetle (because their tendency to vary in color from orange to yellow to even black). They are very beneficial, being natural enemies of many insects, especially aphids and other critters that damage plants by feeding on their sap. A single ladybug can consume vast quantities of aphids in its lifetime, perhaps as many as 5,000 or more.



This one has no spot. This is the only good shot out of 25.

3 comments:

maiylah said...

what a lovely shot! haven't had the chance to see some ladybirds around here for a while ... lucky you! :)

Jackie said...

Wow emila,
These are all fantastic. I can't wait to get my new camera.

Now that I am addicted I simply must have a decent camera!!

All of your shots are excellent!!:-)))

emilayusof said...

Thanks Maiylah! My house is surrounded by plants, all sort, so they came to feed on the plants tissues.

Jackie, thank you! Can't wait to see your new camera! Oh, I can feel the addiction rising up! Keep it going Jackie!

 
Copyright 2006-2011 the other side of emila. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan